Welcome to Herrman Elementary Spartan Way!
Herrman Elementary is dedicated to building positive relationships with all students; ensuring all students feel safe, welcome, included, successful, and happy; making decisions based on what is best for students; respecting our students, families, and community members at all times; creating an inclusive “family” environment among fellow staff members while being honest communicators and having fun.
Herrman’s goal of Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS), is to help parents and school staff create and maintain a safe, supportive, learning environment, promote positive life skills, and reduce negative behaviors so that all children can succeed in school. PBiS focuses on both individual behavior and environmental factors and has proven more effective than punitive discipline strategies, such as suspension and expulsion.
What Is PBIS?
• Applies behaviorally-based systems approaches to enhance our school communities to design effective environments in which teaching and learning occur.
• Establishes a leadership team that guides the implementation of PBIS strategies.
• Develops a set of core behavioral expectations for all students in the school.
• Engages all school staff, parents, and students in maintaining expectations.
• Teaches expectations across all areas of the school.
• Provides positive reinforcement for compliance with the expectations.
• Collects data on the use of established procedures and the impact of those procedures on behavior.
• Builds a set of procedures for maintaining PBIS strategies school-wide