Student Enrollment

Registrar’s Office
District Administration and Education Center
201 E Franklin St., Sparta, WI  54656
Phone: (608) 366-3400
Fax: (608) 366-3529
Office Hours:  7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

To register your student in-person, please go to the Registrar’s Office at the District Administration and Education Center (201 E. Franklin St.). Registration packets are available and the District Registrar will be available to help you with enrolling your student.

Please bring your child’s certified birth certificate and immunization record with when registering.

If you’d like to get an early start on the paperwork, you may view and download the enrollment forms listed below.

Registration forms in English:

Registration forms in Spanish:

The Sparta Area School District offers online enrollment.  This is accessible to families that are new to the District and to existing families with new students to register for the upcoming school year. If you choose to enroll online, you will still need to bring your child’s certified birth certificate to the Administration Center for verification.

New Family Enrollment

Families without a child currently enrolled in the Sparta Area School District
New Student Enrollment

Existing Family Enrollment

Families with a child currently enrolled in the Sparta Area School District
Enroll through Skyward

If you need busing for your student, please print the Bus Request Form off from the list above and return to the Registrar’s Office as well.  You can also pick up a bus request form if needed.

The application for free and reduced cost meals is available on the Nutrition Services website at: Please complete this form and submit to Sparta Area School District Nutrition Services, 201 E. Franklin St., Sparta, WI 54656. Once enrolled information for free and reduced cost meals will be mailed to your home the last week in July.

The 2018-19 Open Enrollment Window through the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction will open Feb. 5, 2018, and close at 4 p.m. April 30, 2018.

Wisconsin DPI Public School Open Enrollment Website
2018-19 Open Enrollment Brochure (PDF)
Sparta Area School District Brochure (PDF)

The inter-district public school open enrollment program allows parents to apply for their children to attend public school in a school district other than the one in which they reside.

Any Wisconsin resident in five-year-old kindergarten to grade 12 may apply to attend a nonresident school district under the open enrollment program. However, a child may transfer to a nonresident school district for early childhood education or four-year-old kindergarten only if the child’s resident school district offers the same type of program and only if the child is eligible for that program in the resident school district.

The regular open enrollment application period for the 2018-19 school year begins on Feb. 4, 2019, and ends at 4 p.m. on April 30, 2019. The best way to apply is online (a link to the online application can be found here during the open enrollment period:

Additional information on the regular open enrollment application season can be found the DPI Applications Page:

An alternative application procedure allows pupils to apply for open enrollment at any time during a school year if certain criteria are met. For additional information, please visit the DPI’s alternative criteria application procedures web page:

Both the nonresident and resident school districts may deny an application for reasons specified in state law. If an application is denied by either the resident or nonresident school district, the parent may file an appeal with the DPI within 30 days. The DPI is required to affirm the school district’s decision unless the DPI determines that the decision was arbitrary or unreasonable.

For more information appealing a denial, visit the DPI appeals page:

Parents are responsible to provide transportation to and from school in the nonresident school district, except that transportation required in a child’s IEP must be provided by the nonresident school district. A nonresident or resident school district is permitted (but not required) to provide transportation to open enrolled pupils, however, the nonresident school district is prohibited from picking up or dropping off a pupil within the boundaries of the pupil’s resident school district unless the resident school district agrees. Low-income parents may apply to the DPI for reimbursement of a portion of their transportation costs.

For more information on transportation, visit the DPI transportation page: