The Spartan Way
Schools within the Sparta Area School District, similar to other PBIS schools across Wisconsin, have created a more positive environment for students and staff by establishing clear expectations for their students and taking active steps in teaching, modeling and reinforcing appropriate behaviors school wide. The Spartan Way initiative coordinates Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports throughout the Sparta Area School District and connects PBIS within the greater Sparta community.
The Spartan Way uses common PBIS language to increase understanding and familiarity district-wide. The program makes building transitions easier for students and parents and allows for community involvement and recognition of students. Signage in schools and businesses around Sparta highlight The Spartan Way and its key words – Respectful, Responsible, Safe. Businesses and organizations have Spartan Way cards to distribute to students who are exhibiting the desired traits. Window clings are provided to businesses and organizations that are interested in participating.
“It is important for students to be recognized for their behavior outside of school,” says Amber Kulig, Pupil Services Director. “This says, as a community, we are focused on instilling these traits in our children.”
- Develop a solid foundation in core academic learning.
- Students of all ability levels will have diverse, quality educational experiences.
- Motivate, challenge and engage all students in the learning process.
- Develop in all students the skills required to be successful in the 21st century.
- Foster relationships that promote a responsible and caring environment within our district.
- Encourage the development of personal responsibility for family, community and the world.