Work Permits

Work Permit Requirements for Employment of Minors

  • A work permit is required before anyone under the age of 16 is allowed to work in any job with the exception of agriculture or domestic service work.
  • Employers must have a work permit on file for the minor being employed before they may allow the minor to begin work.
  • 16- and 17-year-old minors do NOT need to obtain a work permit prior to beginning work. Work permits will not be issued for minors ages 16 or 17.

Items needed to obtain work permit

  • A letter from your employer stating your job duties
  • Written parental permission
  • Your Social Security Card
  • Proof of Age - Either a duly attested birth certificate, a verified baptism certificate or photo ID card issued by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
  • $10.00

Only youth who are 14-15 need work permits. 16-17 year old youth are no longer required by the State of WI to obtain work permits.

For the Employer - Permit Fee Requirement

The employer must reimburse the $10.00 permit fee to the minor by no later than the date of the first paycheck.

Copies of the permit go to the employer and the minor, in addition to the school district where the minor is enrolled.

SHS Office Hours

School Year: 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Summer: Our summer hours vary, please call in advance due to vacation times. (608) 366-3514.

For more information, please contact the Department of Workforce Development.