Healthy, Hunger Free Kids Act
School Meal Pattern Lunch Requirements
The USDA has announced and mandated the new School Meal Pattern and nutritional standards. These new standards are the result of the Healthy, Hunger Free Kids act and will require schools to provide more fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, low fat and fat free milk, and reduce the fat and sodium content of the meals we serve.
These lunch requirements include the following:
- Students must take at least one serving of either a fruit or a vegetable
- Dark green, orange and red vegetables will be featured more prominently
- Sodium levels will be reduced
- Minimum and maximum calorie ranges
- Half the grains served must be whole grain rich (at least 51% whole grain)
- All products must be trans-fat free
- Weekly requirements for beans and legumes
The Sparta Area School District implemented many of these new requirements in prior school years.
We are working on the whole grain, sodium and bean/legume requirements.
I would be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding the new meal pattern or any other question about the Sparta School District Nutrition Program. If you would like to read more about the new regulations, click here.
Nutrition Services Supervisor